Let’s be real, nutrition is one of the most difficult changes our [[companyame1]] members experience, but it’s also the most rewarding. Healthy eating in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and trends are constantly emerging.
Diets aren’t sustainable. Why? Because most diets focus on cutting back on something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also unwise. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled correctly to function properly. Starving your body of vital nutrients is bad for your physical and mental health. In addition, research found that only 1% of people who diet by themselves actually lose their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important piece of our program. Since our very first 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same approach when it comes to nutrition—keeping it easy! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food choices.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” in our food have substantially changed over the years. We show our members how to make healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to be successful.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program stand out?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important part of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to treat yourself every once in a while, it’s become accepted in our society making obesity an epidemic. Our members are trained that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that way. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep a tally of calories! We don’t pay attention to calories because many foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a better fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more substantial than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific formula to set your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you know how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, enabling your body to stay in “burn mode” as opposed to “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to consume good fat as it gives our bodies needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get anywhere else.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food goes into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is taken in, our bodies go into “store mode” turning leftover sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members eat smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to replenish the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program sensible. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are encouraged to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they can have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you go at your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly composed of water, so drinking adequate water is essential to our total health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps alleviate muscle aches. Our members try to drink at least 10 glasses of water each day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help fill you up faster, allowing you to keep portions in control.
So, you could spend lots of money on fad diets, special meals that keep track of points, counting calories or removing every delicious food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the expense of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and discover how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat regular, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and increase your confidence and energy.
Find a location to learn more about our comprehensive program and to join! You won’t believe how much you can transform in only 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread daily with the Farrell's program too!